Saturday, September 25, 2010

I turned twenty this week.

I am greeted every morning by children singing and the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen.
I sleep right after a hot meal around a campfire and singing and dancing with people I adore, a few mzungus but mostly kind Ugandans who give amazing hugs and patiently teach us about everything from the history of the war to how to wash clothes properly.
I am seeing the joy and purpose found in discipline, and how much more meaningful a life lived in it becomes.
I am learning that taking hours to make a meal or clean a load of laundry is much more relational and fun than rushing through these activities as we do back home. I have had most of my amazing conversations, realizations, and joyful moments sitting with a bunch of women sorting rocks out of rice and chopping tomatoes.
I am learning that kids who never get to play with markers, jump ropes, and beads are much more respectful of each other and the materials than kids who have unlimited supplies at home. They share, put caps back on, and compliment each other. It blows us all away.

I am surrounded by folks dedicated to the message and work of the Gospel of Jesus, who not only think it novel and beautiful, but powerful and demanding.
I am inspired by them to really examine my existence and it’s central purpose, and to face the fact that materialism is not only sin, but proof of the harsh reality that you really don’t know God.
I am learning to give both love and truth, and to be patient with people (okay, this is coming slowly).
I am learning people don’t respond to harshness, but to the joy that comes from being free from the love of stuff.
I am learning that our lives are really supposed to be living sacrifices, and in the truth that because we have Jesus we shouldn’t care about or desire the things we fill our lives with.

I am learning that idealism is good, and one person dedicated to changing the world can.
I spend my days with kids who have come from unimaginably hard places. They have been completely unloved, abducted, beaten, shot, forced to kill, hungry, thirsty, sick.
I see them now, here, playing and laughing.
I dance with them, put antibiotic ointment on their cuts and give them big hugs before they go to sleep.
I pray with them, learn their stories, names, and language.
I fall in love with them.
I know this beautiful transformation of their lives is because they have been given a chance to go to school, live in community, be loved.
I know it is because one woman saw injustice and hated it so much she wanted to do something about it, and even though no one got behind her she fought hard enough to change the circumstance of these children.
I am learning that when you do something for God’s glory, He shows up and does crazy amazing things.

I am learning that I don’t really matter, not in a self-deprecating way, just in light of how many people die of a disease it takes $1 to treat. Or how many little orphaned girls grow up getting sexually abused by their uncle or grandpa without anyone caring enough to stop it. I am completely useless if I don’t spend my existence radiating the love of God, helping widows and orphans in their distress, and being set apart. And there is nothing more liberating than knowing life is simply that.

I had the best birthday of my life thus far! I got a nurse practitioner to teach me how to properly and effectively take care of the kids when they are sick. I got to carry baby Esther on my back and take a pretty stroll through the field. I got to take a refreshing prayer walk with Leilah. I got to eat chocolate pudding with my family of friends, and dance around a campfire to Erin playing covers of “I Will Survive” and “Single Ladies”. I got tons of people praying for me from half the world away. I got people to talk things out with, love me when I am whiny and sassy and completely undeserving of love.

I am entirely blessed and taken care of. I really could not ask for more.

Which brings me to my concluding point:


26,000 children will die today from starvation or preventable disease. Most of them without any idea that there is something greater than this life.

I would love if you would help me do something about it.
World Vision, Compassion, Kiva, International Justice Mission, and endless other solid organizations are dedicated to making poverty history. Sponsor a kid, give a loan to someone trying to provide for his or her family, help a well get built. Change is possible and happening. Be part of it. Go out to eat less, go on fewer shopping sprees, use cheaper shampoo. That really is all it takes to make the life of a child exponentially better. There are hundreds of places in the bible that talk about taking care of the poor (read James). I know a lot of people (including myself) are drawn to certain places and people groups, but we are biblically all responsible for this world.

I love you all! If you got through this entire ramble you probably love me too. Thanks for your time.

2 comments:

  1. Suz I do love you!!!! And your heart for God and HIS glory. It is so awesome and encouraging to see what He has been teaching you. It is truly remarkable and inspiring. Change is happening. And we are all responsible for this world. Amen sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. These are wise, wise words. I'm glad you a wonderful birthday. I think of & pray for you often. I can't wait to talk with you about all this stuff you've soaked up!

    ReplyDelete