Saturday, November 13, 2010

Treasures

I have been making a running list of ‘things I don’t want to forget’ in my journal; little snippets of life here that make each day glorious. Most of them are ways the kids have made me cry with joy and brightened my day.

Time is getting shorter and shorter and the kids are leaving soon, and before they do (and we also) I wanted to share with you what exactly makes this place so amazing to me personally:

Mama Cath welcoming me over every time I go to the bathroom. “Suzie, you come for chai, you are welcome!!”

Playing music for the kids and spinning around in circles with Gladys blasting Ingrid Michaelson.

Solomon telling me my stomach and intestines will cry “brrrr” because I drank glitter water.

Sharon’s bear hugs, pulling back to look and smile at me and then burying herself back into my chest.

The children bursting into laughter at the notion of drinking six cups of water a day.

Ocen’s strong handshakes and giant smile.

Pastor David borrowing my birth books and asking me questions about how to help his wife in labor (any talk about birth makes my day!)

Remi with his serious face, filthy clothes (if he is wearing any), and runny nose, putting up his arms for me to hold him.

Craft time, where the kids make us all tons of amazing art covered in glitter, googly eyes, and love.

Justine giving me 53 (slight exaggeration) perfectly crafted bracelets a day, and every night telling Brynn “Big hug to Suzie for me!”

Fireflies, the most stars I have ever seen, and lightning every night as I brush my teeth.

Clinton trying to logic with me why I should never leave.

The kids faces when they pray: I have never seen such real crying out, thanking, and praise to God.

8-18 year old children making it a point to pray for their teachers when they are sick, meet every night to study and pray, sing worship songs every morning, all without any kind of supervision.

Moji- the plural of Mojish (Moses), and Morrish (Maurice).

“For me, I am..” “Me also” “This one is soooo stubborn.” “I am Aggy!” and all the other wonderful Ugandan phrases we have picked up.

Solomon shouting “Hey Suz! Look over there!!!!” and when I glance over, shoving his extra food onto my plate.

The ridiculousness of African orphans trying to force-feed us.

Solomon holding up a lightning bug and proclaiming “It’s buttock is shining” with a huge grin.

Stella, the whole girl. From finding us to give us all sketchy corn that she made, to taking the shoes off our feet to wash them. I have never met anyone more like Christ.

Patrick’s sound effect for ‘fearing girls’.

Gloria putting berries into my mouth from the tree branch above and have hip slamming battles with me (damn my inferior 20 year old white hips to twelve year old African girl hips)

Aggy’s falsetto singing perfectly accompanied by her swinging clap.

Every single “Look Suz! I am brushing my teeth/wearing shoes/ going to the library to check out a book/drinking water/coming to you as soon as I got a cut!” (I taught health class and we set up a library, you see, and it was amazing to know they were listening!)

67 bear hugs before I go to sleep every night.

Janet coming up to me and proudly announcing that Leilah bandaged her!

The boys telling Brynn and Erin my leg hair is ‘very good’.

Norman telling Tom his Mohawk is ‘very nice fashion’.

The children coming to the nurses office and chanting “Suzie is the best nurse! Suzie is the best nurse!” in Acholi.

Double handed waves from children as we pass them on the street.

When I feel emotionally overloaded and everything feels too tough and I feel sick and ugly and tired and I announce “Children! I need a hug!”, everyone comes running.


It is clear that these children have blessed me abundantly. They have certainly given me much more to me than I could have possibly given them. They are such precious treasures, one's I will never forget, one's that have changed me forever.




Note: I always try to write this in such a way that portrays I am here with a team. I am, and we do most things together. But I thought this would be more meaningful if I did it from a personal standpoint. Excuse the focus on myself!

2 comments:

  1. Suzie,
    I am sixteen years old, and I went to Uganda for two weeks this summer, spending a week at Village of Hope. I just want to let you know that I have been stalking you for quite a while now. Reading your blog, especially this post, brings back so many memories and it is really special to hear all the news about these amazing, beautiful kids. If you get the chance, please tell Akello Scovia and Sharon that I say hi to them, that I love them more than anything, and that I pray for them all the time. Thank you so much for posting these, please PLEASE keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was by far my favorite post. Made my heart swell. Love you.

    ReplyDelete